Hot Springs Village Transportation Group (SCAT) is a charitable organization to provide an affordable, reliable and efficient public transportation primarily for Hot Springs Village residents.
- Since Hot Springs Village is a rural area, individuals must drive to areas of business or other residential homes.
- The average age of residents has been increasing and many are relying on friends and neighbors to transport them to appointments and shopping.
- A public transit system that has a route with “bus stops” is not conducive in the Village due to the roads and distance between homes and development.
- 2007: A group of interested residents formed a committee to investigate the feasibility for public transit for their neighbors and friends.
- March 2009: CTAA (Community Transportation Association of America) in Washington D.C. conducted a study of HSV. Bob Carlson spent four days in HSV evaluating the needs and community demographics. CTAA concluded that a door to door transit service was needed and feasible.
- October 2009: CADC (Central Arkansas Development Council) which operates SCAT (South Central Arkansas Transit) offered to provide the vans, office space, insurance and maintenance. HSV SCAT offered to provide the volunteer schedulers and drivers. No other SCAT offices are totally managed by volunteers. The HSV SCAT is unique in the state of AR.
- March, 2010 Received one van and had a total of 30 volunteers
- April, 2011 Received the second van and over 50 volunteers.
- October, 2013 Incorporated as Hot Springs Village Transportation Group
- November, 2013 Submitted application to IRS for 501(c)3
- Purchased a van in April 2015
- Purchased a wheelchair accessible van in 2016
- 2023: Currently we have approximately 70 volunteers and operate 3 vehicles.
- Senior citizens
- Handicapped—wheelchair [caretaker required]
- Adults unable to drive due to vision or physical disability
- Implement a new software program for scheduling rides.
- As ridership has increased significantly over the past few years, we are seeking to procure an additional van, and we continue to seek out new volunteers to help meet the needs of our neighbors in the Village.